Sunday, July 1, 2007

A New Chapter Has Begun

We made it to our new home in California. The last couple weeks have been EXHAUSTING! California is beautiful, but there it much to get used to (including the crazy traffic!). We packed up the truck on Tuesday night, slept on a borrowed air mattress and had our last day of work on Wednesday. We left Provo at about 3:30 in the afternoon that same day. Miles drove the loaded truck and I followed in our car. Our plan was to stay in St. George Wednesday night to break up the long drive to California. We had to make a couple stops along the way to check and adjust the load. There were a couple scary moments on the freeway between Provo and Nephi like the time when the mattress on top literally folded in half! But after we put another tie on the mattress and took off the tarp, it was smooth sailing.

We left St. George at 5:00am Thursday morning in hope of dodging the traffic in Vegas and LA. I don't know if we hit "real" traffic or not, but I tell you there were times when my adrenaline was really pumping! It was intense trying to follow Miles through the maze of winding, merging, and speeding freeways! So, it was such a relief to finally make it to our new apartment with no accidents.

Now to tell you a little about our new apartment. My first impression was like "oh no," but little by little I am finding the perks--like, it's HUGE, much bigger than I expected. Andrea, Nate, Kia, Mikelle, Avery, and Danny all stayed with us for a few days to help us move in, and there was elbow room for everyone. Also, we have our own balcony, and we found out today that there are quite a few LDS couples living in our same complex. The ocean and the weather are probably the biggest perks living here. I'm really loving it more and more.

While Andrea's family and Danny were here, we went to Disneyland and Newport Beach (both are only 10-15 minutes away from our apartment). We still had a blast even though both locations were busy. Miles was like a little kid playing with the girls and in the ocean--he loves the water!

So, Miles starts his new PhD program tomorrow. He's a little nervous--not really knowing what to expect. I just keep telling him he'll do great! He's such a smart and likable person. As for me, I am still looking for a job. But in the meantime I have plenty of shopping and unpacking to do to get us settled in. A new chapter in our life has begun!

5 comments:

RHETT AND NICHOLE said...

How exciting Michelle, your family is so cute, Andrea's daughter's are so cute, good luck there, post some pics of the apartment after you decorate, I would love to see!!!!

Zane and Lexi said...

Yeah! you made it - and you are already living the california dream! we are so very jealous! hope all is well and that you adjust quickly...keep us updated!

Paige said...

That is so exciting! Now when we take this step in our lives I will look this post up and say, "Ok- this has been survived by others! We can do this too!"

You left your large stack of Pomeroy DVD's at the office!! Carol and I discovered them a few days ago! If you give me an address I'll send it to you somehow!

Meli said...

Michelle!!! wooow you are in CALI!!! woow good for you guys. Good luck with school Miles!!We'll be like that in one month and a half aahhhhhhh

Shelly Beth said...

Woo hoo! It looks like your apartment is nice from the pics you posted. I want to see more of it! I am sure you will post some when you are all unpacked. The carpet looks a lot nicer than your last apartment....How was D-land? Did you get to ride everything you wanted? I want to talk to you guys soon. Call after 9:00 sometime so we have free cell minutes. I will be awake. My last pump for breast feeding is at 12:00am every night....yeah...