Thursday, July 5, 2007

Farewell to Graduate Studies

Well now that we made it to California and have our computer set up I can finally post about a memoir that I wrote up about working at BYU's Graduate Studies office. I started there in December 2004 as a Special Projects intern (pretty much a glorified front desk back-up). When we got married, April 2005, they promoted me to Data Analyst. As Data Analyst I grabbed statistics from the University database and made up reports for BYU's administration. It was a great job and really pushed my limits. I loved working at Graduate Studies.

When I was getting ready to leave, Bonnie asked if I would be willing to write up something on my experience working as a student at Graduate Studies. It turned into a memoir…of sorts.

Working @ GS
A tongue-in-cheek memoir by Miles Pomeroy
My experience working with Graduate Studies has turned me into a nerd. At least this is the way that my wife likes to phrase it. I see it more as enriching my understanding of various algorithmic protocols designed to cultivate the extensibility of aggregate collaboration orchestration; with a few parties to spice it up.

If I were to ask myself, “Self, what is the best thing about working at Graduate Studies?” I would most enthusiastically respond, “The parties, most definitely.” The parties have brought us together as an office. They have introduced the lowly intern in the backroom to the perky secretary at the front desk. In a phrase, forgive me if I am being too cliché, we work hard but we also play hard.

The atmosphere of the office has greatly benefited from an abundant diversity. We have straight arrow, spartan types like Janice, Sarah, Meg, and Cathi; who are balanced out by easy-going, loquacious types like James, JeNeal, Jared, and Terilee. We also have quiet, benevolent types like Claire, Breann, Derence, and Christijan; who are balanced out by loud, vivacious types like Amy, Kevin, Bonnie, and Jolene.

Seriously though, I have been very impressed by the amount of trust I have been given as a student employee. Both James and Bonnie have let me take the reins on all of my projects. They have not micromanaged, but have given me a vision and then allowed me the opportunity to create the reality as I see it.

I have had the opportunity in this position to learn many skills that I previously did not have. My supervisors gave me time to increase my depth in Access, but also to explore mysql, html, php, and css. I believe that I have been able to use these new skills to improve my value to this office.

I have felt an equal with the full-time staff. I have been treated as such and believe that I have tried to perform as such.

1 comment:

BYU Grad Studies said...

I'm still not added to the memoir! Sad day!

Maria