Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Shhhh

Miles and I attended an ASL (American Sign Language) class last night. The class is taught by a deaf sister from our ward, and is being held in our church building for the next 6 weeks. Last night was our first class, and we had a blast. It felt more like an acting class than a language class, as we were learning how to use facial expressions and body language to communicate. I was also surprised how easy it was to pick up, not previously knowing any sign language (except for the alphabet). And we weren't even allowed to use our speaking voices during class!

4 comments:

Shelly Beth said...

Sweet action! I took an ASL class at BYU and loved it. I still sign the alphabet so that I can remember it. Sign language is really good to use with young children too, so they can communicate with you before they can even talk. Anyways, I FINALLY updated my blog and I am going to TRY to keep up on it. Also, what is your iChat screen name so that we can chat sometimes. I check it every once in a while. We need to catch up? Anything "cooking"?

Jennsie said...

I too took a ASL class at byu and was taught by a deaf teacher. He was amazing. One of the funnest classes I've taken.
Thankfully I did, because when I did one of my placements at the hospital I came across a deaf english patient. With the little ASL I knew, I was able to commuincate. He felt safe with me around and even wanted me to take care of him at home after he got dicharged.
Expanding ourselves is a great and wonderful thing. You never know when they will use certain skills.

Paige said...

Yay! That's awesome that that sister is doing that! ASL is an amazing language to have in your arsenal. ;)

Laura Edwards said...

I love ASL! I have taken it for a couple of years now and plan on continuing. I am glad to hear that you will be learning signs and then we could sign to each other over the phone!..... ha ha. Seriously though, I have found it very helpful, and not just for the deaf. And I understand COMPLETELY about the "acting" aspects. Facial expressions are so so so important in signing! Keep me updated on how your liking the class.