Tuesday, November 13, 2007

One Good Meal

Miles and I had a very delicious dinner tonight. The best part was that it was so easy! We had baked chicken, a sweet potato, spinach salad, and corn. Don't you just love it when you're able to pull something together without any planning, and it actually tastes good? We were very excited. I thought I'd mention just a few of the tidbits I learned to make this meal such a breeze.

Tonight's chicken recipe, which I got from allrecipes.com—my all-time favorite recipe site, only called for 3 ingredients (including the chicken). I'm usually terrible at baking chicken—it always comes out dry and bland. I'm learning that chicken needs to be baked at a high temperature (400-425 degrees) for only 20-25 minutes, and most recipes call for more like 350 for 35-40 minutes.

Did you know you can microwave sweet potatoes? Yeah, all you need to do is scrub the tater, pierce it about 10 times with a fork and put in on a paper towel in the microwave. Cook for 3 minutes, turn, and cook for 3 more. I ate half of mine with just butter and salt, and the other half with butter and brown sugar. Both ways were delicious!

My secret to tonight's spinach salad was the scoop of cottage cheese. Miles thought it was a little weird, but ended up liking it. Really, it's just a cheap and handy substitute for something like feta.

You can never go wrong with frozen corn. We buy a huge bag at Costco (organic, because that's all they have here in California) and we eat it with just about every meal.

Yay for yummy, easy cooking!

3 comments:

Paige said...

Mmmm. Delicious post Michelle! Thanks for the tips- I usually have the same problem with chicken! That certainly helps things- I've just been avoiding cooking it in the oven... (we have a foreman grill that does it sooo nice and juicy).

My Garden of Eden said...

Sounds yummy! Good job guys and hey thanks for the recipe. I will have to try it sometime

Carol Lima said...

Hey Michelle! Loved your tips for yummy recipe!
I know it took me forever to respond your comment on my blog but the good news is that I'm pregnant! It was not planned but Eric and I are very happy!
How are things going with you?
Enjoy you yummy dinner tonight! :)