Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Sick Day Dilemma

Today I was sent home sick from work--not because I felt horrible, but because my boss didn't want me to spread my germs. So now what do I do? There are a million things I could get done at home, but then I think if I don't rest and try to get better today, how bad will I be tomorrow? I'm tempted to paint our bedroom. Miles and I bought paint over the weekend, so I'm slightly enticed to get involved in that project. But then I'm back to wondering what will happen if I over-do it today. 

On the other hand, I feel guilty just reading, sleeping, and watching TV all day. Besides, daytime TV is terrible! It's rare that I'm actually home during the middle of the day when soap operas and court TV shows dominate all channels! I ended up watching a bit of Young Frankenstein on AMC. You usually can't go wrong watching the classics. 

Reading seems like a good option, but I just finished a book, so now I don't know what to read--I always have a hard time starting new books. Any suggestions? Miles is trying to get me to read a couple books by his favorite author (Orson Scott Card). I'll probably give those a shot. The book I just finished was Twilight. Yeah, it was pretty good. I must not be big into romance novels or something because everyone I knew who read it LOVED it.  I do think I'll read New Moon and Eclipse, but will wait until they come out in paperback. 

So if I don't feel like reading, sleeping, or watching TV, I could always spend some time posting to my blog...

8 comments:

Laura Edwards said...

I hope you feel better- I love the picture that you included in this post! It definately grasps the essence of "sick days".

Scott B. said...

I'm with Miles: Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow (read EG first) are two of the best books you'll ever read. I could loan either to you.

Jessica McAllister said...

Being sick is not good, i am sorry feel better. I am not much of a reader or else I would recommend a book, I like books with a lot of pictures especially graphic design books. I like to read when I have time but it seems like there is not enough time in the day for 'book reading time' for me, feel better though being sick is no fun.

Heidi said...

I used to work with Miles at Graduate Studies at BYU. I have the same problem; I LOVE reading and I'm always on the lookout for good books. I suggest you find your local library and get a card. :) Shannon Hale is a pretty good author, you might enjoy The Princess Academy or the Goose Girl. She just wrote a new book called Austenland that has gotten good reviews. Hope you feel better! And I LOVE the bedroom set you guys picked out! I'm jealous. :D

Adam said...

I'm reading Kite Runner right now. It's great, but sad. I've been sick this past week too! Yay! We're sick buddies!

Daniel and Sara said...

A fun book to read is called "The Thin Woman" by Dorothy Cannell. She is a sarcastic and funny author. The book is a mystery and the author does a good job. However, I wouldn't recommend reading the sequels to the book. I can't tell you why until you've read the first one. Other fun books are the Redwall series by Brian Jacques. You really don't have to read them in any order. Also there is the series of three books that he wrote called "Castaways of the Flying Dutchman". They are all fun reads. Anyway, your room looks awesome even though you are in California where I wish Dan and I were! :)

michellep said...

Thanks for all the recommendations everyone!

My Garden of Eden said...

Hey Michelle,
If you didn't like Twilight...TRUST me you won't be into the other 2 either. I started the third and stopped I just can't do it. Just trying to save you from it if you want to be saved.