Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Jiminy Cricket!

Does anyone know how long crickets live? Miles and I have a cricket living in our oven somewhere. It's been there now for over a week! Every night, when it gets dark, our obnoxious friend starts chirping away. At first it was kind of charming, feeling like we were constantly outside enjoying a summer evening, but it got old really fast. I've used the oven up to 400 degrees cooking dinner, and the little guy still survives. Miles and I went away for the weekend, crossing our fingers our apartment would be silent when we returned. To our dismay the stridulation didn't cease. Once in awhile we'll make a racket by slamming the oven door to get a minute or so of silence. We just don't know what to do! But I guess we should count our blessings. In many areas of the world, people keep crickets for pets and are considered good luck in Asia. But I think I'd prefer a quiet goldfish!

3 comments:

bec said...

so you guys have a blog, huh? We have a pet cricket, it's not alive though. The Bean museum gave it to me because it only had 5 legs.

Paige said...

You could get a pet Birdeater Tarantula and set it loose under your oven to eat your pet cricket. Although, when push comes to shove I would ultimately have the pet cricket loose than the pet birdeater... Besides- they stridulate too, apparently. (your link to wikipedia taught me more about stridulation than I ever thought I would, or wanted to know! ;) Good luck?

Laura Edwards said...

Oh I find this story so funny- sad though for you. I hope you solve the problem soon so that you can have a peaceful rest. By the way, thanks for taking the quiz. You know me pretty well! Wow!