Friday, August 10, 2007

A Tribute to President James E. Faust

I'm sure most of you have heard by now that President James E. Faust, 2nd counselor in the First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, passed away last night of "causes incident to age".

The news had a bigger impact on me than I expected. Though I have never met President Faust in person he has always touched my heart through his many addresses and by his great example. He was such a sweet man of God. I'd like to share a couple of my personal favorite stories about President Faust.

While attending the Seminar for New Mission Presidents held annually at the Missionary Training Center in Provo, President Faust was being wheeled down a hallway being cleared by security. President Faust told the young man pushing him to stop so he could "say hello to his fellow servants." He was such a humble servant of the Lord.

Another story about Pres. Faust was shared by Elder Eyring, again at the New Mission President Seminar. Elder Eyring told of the time when he and his wife found out that his mother-in-law had passed away. Before mentioning it to anyone, Elder and Sister Eyring received a phone call from President Faust offering his condolences. He had been prompted to call and offer his support. What a remarkable example of spiritual sensitivity!

No comments: