Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Bakersfield

Michelle came up with the fun idea to take a quick trip to Bakersfield this last weekend. Now I know what some of you must be thinking, "Why in the world would they want to leave the beautiful weather and coast of Irvine to visit the hot, barrenness of Bakersfield?" Well for those who don't know, and are probably the ones asking the question, my family and I lived there for six years (while I was in junior high and high school). Since my family now lives in Arizona, I haven't had any reason to visit Bakersfield since I left for BYU seven years ago.

It was Michelle's first visit and she wasn't too impressed. Sure she thought it was fun to put places to all the stories that I have told her about, but she thought overall the city was pretty ugly. Now, it doesn't fair too well with air quality but that's not its fault (Bakersfield lies at the bottom of the San Joaquin valley and accumulates all the smog from Sacramento and San Francisco), but all the oil rigs don't help either.

We visited my old house. While there we caught up with the Hemingway's, a neighbor family in our ward.

Next, we went to my high school. West High Viking pride, yeah!

CSUB swimming pool. This is where I swam throughout high school. All of our swim practices and almost all of our swim meets took place in this pool.

The LDS ward building we attended. It doubled as the Stake Center. Here we had church, seminary, dances, even performances.

Western Warehouse. This is were my dad worked and was the reason we moved to Bakersfield.

Those were the major attractions. Besides that, pretty much all we did was eat.

Dewar's is a well known ice cream and candy shop in Bakersfield. We had a black and white, bought some chews, and even a t-shirt for me.

Michelle has a bad habit lately of leaving her door open when we walk away from the car. I was able to catch it on film.

On the way home we made a stop at the Los Angeles Temple, another first for Michelle. By the way, this is Michelle's accidental "artistic" shot.

5 comments:

Laura Edwards said...

That looked like a fun walk down memory lane! Michelle you look great- I love your sunglasses!!

Jeni said...

You know my first thought actully was "ugh, why would you want to go to bakersfield?". Looks like you two had fun. Sorry about the somg from Sac-town. We're working on "going green" up here :o) Anytime you and Michelle want to visit let me know!

The Dillinghams said...

Hey Miles, it's Ashley. It was fun to hear from you and to look at your blog and see what you are up to...looks like things are going well for you. Who else's blogs have you found from Bako? I've only seen stephanie hawkins and emily warrs. I am probably the only person jealous of your trip to Bakersfield...I miss it...but I still have family there. Hope to hear from you again.
Ashley

Jeromy Robison said...

Wow, I havent' seen these places in a while either. I'm glad you got to go back and relive some memories. I am proud to say I've made many of them with you, Miles.

... said...

Michelle- This is Krystal (Wright) Sorensen, So I am pretty sure I am a blog stalker and I found you but I had to write cause I was going through old pictures and found some from when we sang santa baby in some assembly when we were on student council togehter! I was laughing so hard! Anyways, just thought I would jog your memory! haha. . .