Saturday, May 19, 2007

Carol's Wedding Cake

Carol, a good friend from work asked me to make her wedding cake! Wow, what a challenge. The only experience I had had was helping my sister make my own wedding cake a couple years ago. This is a picture of what she wanted. I included pics of the whole process (which took nearly 20 hours to do!).

Carol didn't want to serve her actual cake, so the bottom 2 layers were styrofoam and the top was real chocolate cake. So the first step was to make the cake from scratch and give it a good thick layer of frosting.

Next came the huge task of rolling out the fondant. It was a serious workout (my whole body is sore from this!) I actually had to get on top of the counter to get my whole weight into it!

Putting the fondant over the cake layers was probably the most difficult part of the whole process. All those pointy edges were a pain!

But luckily I had another set of hands (Michelle Shade - friend/neighbor) to help me!

We then stacked and put the red ribbon on.

I trimmed the cakes in icing, which I had never done before!

Putting the tiny red dots all over was nerve racking!

Miles and I then carefully transported the two pieces (real top layer, and bottom fake layers) to the location in Salt Lake. When we got there, we started assembling all the pieces.

This is Miles helping me!

Then came my favorite part, placing the flowers. That floral design class I took really came it handy!

And this is the final product! Wow what a project!

4 comments:

Adam said...

Holy crap Michelle! You told me about it, but I had no idea that it would be so beautiful. You should be very proud!

Meli said...

that was a crazy day!!!! but awesome cake!!! I had fun at the weeding with you guys!

Zane and Lexi said...

I'm completely impressed - I think you should start charging a bundle for your amazing creations!

Tim & Alicia said...

Hello Pomeroys! We just stumbled across your blog. This is such a fun way to see what people are up to! Looks like you have been busy! Watch out- everyone's going to be asking you to do their cakes! It looks amazing!! We have a blog too, timalio.blogspot.com, we can link up!